Get e-book A Chronology of European Security and Defence 1945-2006

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online A Chronology of European Security and Defence 1945-2006 file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with A Chronology of European Security and Defence 1945-2006 book. Happy reading A Chronology of European Security and Defence 1945-2006 Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF A Chronology of European Security and Defence 1945-2006 at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF A Chronology of European Security and Defence 1945-2006 Pocket Guide.


  1. Kundrecensioner
  2. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  3. The Cold War - International Relations - Oxford Bibliographies
  4. Introduction

Advanced search Search history. Browse titles authors subjects uniform titles series callnumbers dewey numbers starting from optional. See what's been added to the collection in the current 1 2 3 4 5 6 weeks months years. Your reader barcode: Your last name:. Cite this Email this Add to favourites Print this page. You must be logged in to Tag Records.


In the Library Request this item to view in the Library's reading rooms using your library card. Details Collect From YY Order a copy Copyright or permission restrictions may apply. We will contact you if necessary. To learn more about Copies Direct watch this short online video.

Need help? How do I find a book? Can I borrow this item? Can I get a copy? Can I view this online? Ask a librarian. For more, please download the fact sheet on Chillianwallah. In the 24th was stationed at Rangoon, with a detachment of 3 officers and soldiers in the Andaman Islands. In May that year the crew of a British ship was reported to have been murdered by natives of the Little Andaman, and a party was sent to investigate.

On arrival at the reputed place of the massacre, two boats were put ashore, due to the heavy surf only one reached the shore. The landing party were able to discover the bodies of the murdered crew, but hostile natives soon appeared. Several attempts were made to rescue the shore party, but finally the second boat, crewed by Assistant-Surgeon Douglas and Privates Bell, Cooper, Griffiths and Murphy, which had remained off-shore, managed to pick up the men by making two trips through the difficult waters and thus saving the soldiers from certain death.

The crew of the rescue boat were later to receive the Victoria Cross — the first members of the 24th to be given this recently established but much coveted decoration. At Sheffield in , the regiment received from the Queen a white billygoat from the Royal herd as replacement for its Russian goat which had died in the West Indies. From Ireland in the regiment embarked for India. Service in the sub continent was followed in by a year in the Aden garrison prior to returning to the United Kingdom in March Service at home which included some time in Pembrokeshire was in followed by seven months in the Gibraltar garrison and then service in Natal policing the colony in the aftermath of the Zulu campaign.

There in July , a new territorial system saw the 41st The Welsh united with the 69th South Lincolnshire Regiment to form respectively the 1st and 2nd Battalions, The Welsh Regiment. A new regimental depot was established at the then recently completed Maindy Barracks in Cardiff. Meanwhile, in , a second battalion was formed yet again. Their task was to punish the Asante people for raiding and plundering settled tribes in the Gold Coast. A long march through dense jungle led to the capital, Kumasi, which was razed to the ground.

After a tour in Ireland the 1st Battalion embarked in for India, where it was to remain for the next sixteen years, two of which were spent on operations in Burma, including the capture of King Theebaw at Mandalay.

  1. Vampire Crush!
  2. The Golden Gate.
  3. Australian citizenship: a chronology of major developments in policy and law.

The 2nd Battalion, following its return from Asante, was stationed in Gibraltar until After a short tour in Britain it arrived in Ireland in where it remained until Both 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 24th were engaged in the Ninth Frontier War in the Eastern Cape in and subsequent war against the Zulus in On 22nd January , five companies of the 1st Battalion and one company of the 2nd, in camp at Isandlwana, were attacked by a great mass of Zulus.

Surrounded and greatly outnumbered, they fought desperately but were finally overwhelmed when the supply of ammunition failed. They fought their way through to the Buffalo River, but there, both officers were killed. Some two weeks later the Colour was recovered from the muddy waters of the Buffalo and restored to the battalion. The attacks continued until the early hours of the next morning but were all beaten off. This action undoubtedly saved Natal from invasion. No other regiment has been awarded seven Victoria Crosses for a single action.

For more, please download the fact sheet on Anglo-Zulu War. For more, please download the fact sheet on Anglo-Zulu war Colours. The 1st Battalion reached Durban in November where they joined the 6th Fusilier Brigade, part of the column marching to the relief of Ladysmith. This was followed by the triumphal entry into Ladysmith on 3rd March. For the rest of the war the Battalion was engaged on anti-guerrilla operations to protect army supply lines from Boer detachments.

It was a thankless task that involved prodigious feats of marching in blazing sun and bitter cold, through dust storms, and always short of food and shelter. Peace was signed in May and in the following year the Battalion returned to England. For more, please download the fact sheet on the Anglo-Boer War. In the battalion mounted infantry were active against Dervishes in the vicinity of Tosci.

  • Books by Julian Lindley-French.
  • Multiplicative Ideal Theory and Factorization Theory: Commutative and Non-commutative Perspectives.
  • The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon)?
  • Navigation menu.
  • Tropical Geometry and Mirror Symmetry.
  • Sex, drugs, and sea slime : the oceans oddest creatures and why they matter;
  • There in March a disastrous fire resulted in the loss of much officers mess silver and many early manuscript regimental records. Meanwhile the 2nd Battalion served at home, Ireland and then moved to India.. By , the 24th Regiment was recruiting mainly from Welsh border counties Cardigan, Radnor, Brecknock and Monmouth and its Depot was established in Brecon. It was therefore logical that in when the whole Army was given territorial titles, it should assume the title of The South Wales Borderers.

    Shortly after this the Volunteer Battalions of Monmouthshire, as well as those of Brecknock and Radnor, were affiliated to the regiment. It was at this time that the 24th lost their grass green facings for white.

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Happily, this distinction was restored in The Boer War also gave a first-ever chance for the Volunteer and Militia units of the South Wales Borderers of active overseas service. For more, please download the fact sheet on the Anglo-Boer war. The war in South Africa saw the 1st Battalion disembark at Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape in November to participate in a war where for the first time the regulars of the battalion found themselves supported by Volunteer companies drawn from the four Volunteer Battalions of The Welsh Regiment at home in South Wales.

    In April the implementation of the Haldane reforms resulted in the 3rd Militia Battalion being re-categorised as Special Reserve and four new battalions for the Territorial Force were created from the Volunteer battalions of the regiment. On its return to the United Kingdom from South Africa in , the 1st Battalion enjoyed some home service prior to embarking in December for service in Egypt and the Sudan.

    The Cold War - International Relations - Oxford Bibliographies

    In February , the battalion moved on to India where at the outbreak of World War 1, it was stationed at Chakrata. Ordered back to the United Kingdom, the 1st Battalion was brought up to war establishment and embarked for France on 16th January From England in , the 2nd Battalion embarked for India. After almost fourteen years in the sub-continent, in the 2nd Battalion moved to garrison duties in South Africa before returning to the United Kingdom in The battalion was for a period stationed at Pembroke Dock, but moved to Bordon just prior to the outbreak of World War 1.

    The Battalion fought alongside the United States Marine Corps at Tientsin, and later at the relief of Peking, thus beginning a close relationship that exists to this day. During the short time remaining until the outbreak of the First World War, the 1st Battalion served in Britain and Ireland before being posted to Malta in January The 2nd Battalion was in India from until it returned to England in March It had been abroad for eighteen years. When passing Malta, there was an opportunity for officers of both battalions to meet. For more, please download the fact sheet on the Boxer Rebellion.

    The assassination of the heir to the Austrian throne at Sarajevo in June plunged Europe into war. At the time the regiment consisted of seven battalions: two regular - the 1st and 2nd considered by many to be elite battalions; the 3rd Special Reserve Battalion; and four Territorial battalions - the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. By that number had risen to forty battalions, of which over half saw active service abroad. It is impossible in the space available to do more than give the briefest indication of the part played by the regiment in the War.

    The 2nd Battalion, recently returned to Britain from India, was the first to be engaged in Europe, at Mons in August The 1st Battalion followed in October, and by the end of the month it had been virtually annihilated. In the meantime Lord Kitchener had called for a hundred thousand volunteers, and Lloyd George and other prominent Welshmen determined to raise a Welsh Army Corps. In May the 1st Battalion played a distinguished part in the battle of Festubert in which Company Sergeant Major Barter together with eight men seized and held five hundred yards of trench.

    The Battalion suffered five hundred and fifty casualties and Barter was awarded the Victoria Cross. Meanwhile, the landing at Gallipoli had got off to an inauspicious start in April. Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Doughty-Wylie was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross at Sedd-el-Bahr when, as a staff officer and armed only with a cane, he led a disparate group of soldiers against a key Turkish position and was killed as it was overrun. During seven more Service Battalions, the 9th, 10th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th, arrived in France, the last five in 38th Welsh Division.

    The 11th Service Battalion went to Macedonia Salonika in November where it was engaged alongside the Serbs against Austrians, Germans and Bulgarians until the end of the war in an inhospitable terrain made worse by the presence of malarial mosquitoes. In , ten battalions were engaged in the battle of the Somme, including those in 38th Division, which fought with great heroism at Mametz Wood. By the time the Germans had been cleared from the wood, the Royal Welsh losses amounted to well over 1, men, and included four out of five commanding officers. In February the 8th Battalion was sent to Mesopotamia Iraq as part of the force involved in the abortive attempt to relieve the troops besieged at Kut al Amara.

    It remained in Mesopotamia until the end of the war. In Europe, was marked by the battles of 3rd Ypres and Cambrai. Nine battalions fought at Ypres, including the five with 38th Division which distinguished itself at Pilckem Ridge, where Corporal James Davies of the 13th Battalion was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for capturing two supposedly impregnable pill-boxes with bayonet and grenade. The 1st Battalion were part of the reinforcements sent to bolster the Italian front.

    The German spring offensive that opened in March destroyed much of Fifth Army. In the initial stages the 9th Battalion suffered over casualties, and the 4th, which was subjected to a mustard gas bombardment, nearly three hundred. The former went on to fight with great tenacity at Lys, Bailleul, Kemmel and Scherpenberg despite being reduced to a skeleton three times in three months. In Palestine, the 24th and 25th Battalions took part in the capture of Jericho before being sent to France as reinforcements. In Italy the 1st Battalion was at the crossing of the Piave, and in the battle of Vittorio Veneto which led to the rout of the Austrian army.

    Back in France the German offensive ran out of steam and in July the allies began to strike back. Corporal Weale, 14th Battalion and Lance Sergeant Waring, 25th Battalion, the latter posthumously, were awarded Victoria Crosses in the closing stages of the war. The cost of the war was enormous. Almost 10, officers and men gave their lives, and in so doing an amazing eighty-eight Battle Honours were won by the regiment. The Royal Welsh Fusiliers is credited with forty battalions, twenty-two of which served overseas in the following operational theatres dates of arrival in theatre shown in brackets :.

    In the First World War, the 24th raised twenty-one Battalions, gained six Victoria Crosses and was awarded seventy-four Battle Honours, of which none was better earned than Gheluvelt on 31st October where the 1st Battalion The South Wales Borderers, alongside the 2nd Battalion The Welch Regiment, withstood the German onslaught and enabled 2nd Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment to launch their famous counter-attack, thus halting the whole German offensive towards the coast.

    Also in , but on the other side of the world in North China, the 2nd Battalion took part with the Japanese in the capture of the German Treaty Port of Tsingtao and thereby gained a Battle Honour unique in the British Army. The 2nd Battalion returned via Hong Kong to England in early , only to form part of the 29th Division which was sent to land at Cape Helles on the Gallipoli peninsular on 25th April After the failure of the Dardanelles campaign, the 29th Division was withdrawn merely to arrive in France in March Its first big action was on 1st July , the opening day of the great battle of the Somme, when it attacked the impregnable position at Beaumont Hamel.

    The 2nd Battalion advancing south of the village in the leading line was mown down by machine guns in the first few minutes and lost 11 officers and men killed and missing and 4 officers and men wounded out of a total of 21 officers and men. The battalion was soon re-formed and after periods in various parts of the Line fought most gallantly at Monchy Le Preux during the Arras offensive in April and May , where Sergeant White was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for magnificent leadership and self-sacrifice.

    On 4th April, the British attacked the Hanna position. The battalion pushed on under heavy machine gun fire over ground devoid of cover, and despite severe losses reached a line about yards from the Turkish trenches. During the advance an officer fell and one of his men, going to his help, was hit and disabled. Captain Angus Buchanan thereupon dashed out from behind cover and not only carried the officer in despite a heavy fire but, going out again, brought the private in also, for which gallantry he was awarded the Victoria Cross. A few days later, on 8th April, came the night assault on the Turkish position at Sannaiyat, with the 4th Battalion in the front line.

    The attack failed with heavy loss, but the regiment gained another Victoria Cross of the Battalion. Private James Fynn crept out in broad daylight to two men who were lying within yards of the Turkish line, bandaged them and brought them in. The South Wales Borderers and Monmouthshire Regiment are credited with thirty-one battalions, seventeen of which served overseas in the following operational theatres dates of arrival in theatre shown in brackets :.

    Three members of the regiment were awarded the Victoria Cross for valour. The Battalions of the Welsh Regiment included were the 10th and 13th Rhondda , 14th Swansea and 15th Carmarthen as part of th Brigade. After spells in the Line at Givenchy in the spring of , the Division moved to the River Ancre on 3rd July at the opening of the Battle of the Somme, and both battalions had their first real action in the attack on Mametz Wood.

    It required skill and determination on the part of all ranks to turn the Germans out, and fine work was done with bomb and bayonet by the courage and initiative of junior leaders. The stiffness of the fighting may be gauged by the casualties of the 38th Division which amounted to officers and 3, other ranks, of which 75 officers and 1, other ranks belonged to Welsh Regiment - Lieutenant-Colonel J Hayes, 14th Welsh, particularly distinguished himself, and several DSOs and MCs, together with 17 Military Medals were awarded to the Welsh. By the end of the conflict in , 7, soldiers of the Welsh Regiment had given their lives for their Country.

    In , the Territorial Force and Service Battalions stood down and the cadres of the 1st and 2nd Battalions on being brought up to their established strength at Pembroke Dock prepared for peacetime service. During the Great War, the Welsh Regiment is credited with thirty-four battalions, twenty-one of which served overseas in the following operational theatres dates of arrival in theatre shown in brackets :.

    The years between the wars were not particularly peaceful for both battalions were involved in the trouble spots of the Empire.

    Recently added

    For more, please download the fact sheet on the North West Fontier. Very quickly the regiment was reduced to its two regular battalions as others were disbanded, and it was soon back to business as usual. The 1st Battalion after re-forming at Oswestry was sent overseas to India where life was little different to what it had been before the War, with drill, marching and sport occupying the time.

    Ireland, where the situation was deteriorating rapidly, required reinforcements and the 2nd Battalion arrived in and remained until December He was kidnapped by Sinn Fein in April and shot. I have been treated with great kindness and From Ireland the 2nd Battalion moved to Pembroke Dock and then, in , it joined the British Army of the Rhine at Bingen, remaining until the final withdrawal in Returning briefly to Tidworth they received in a visit from Lieutenant-Commander John Philip Sousa, the American composer, who presented the regiment with the score of his march The Royal Welch Fusiliers in honour of its close relationship with the United States Marine Corps.

    In the Battalion went to Gibraltar. The Battalion suffered many casualties from snipers as they picqueted routes and escorted convoys. In one such action at Split Hill Picquet in February no less than four soldiers were awarded Military Medals for rescuing wounded comrades under fire. When the tour in India ended in the Battalion was sent to the Sudan, with one company detached to Cyprus. In October a revolt broke out in Cyprus and the Governor's house was burnt to the ground. C Company, the only troops on the island, managed to restore order before reinforcements could arrive by air.

    On their way home in April the two battalions met at Gibraltar, and the officers were able to dine together for the first time since in Malta. The 1st Battalion remained in England until the outbreak of war in , and endured the frustrations of trying to train using taxis as armoured cars and rattles to represent machine guns. The 2nd Battalion, which reached Hong Kong in , was called upon to go to Shanghai in as part of a multi-national force formed to protect the International Settlements which the Sino-Japanese war threatened to engulf. Whilst there, the close links with the United States Marine Corps were renewed.

    By the end of the Battalion was in India. By the regular battalions were as they had been in August , with the 2nd Battalion at home and the 1st Battalion in India. In , the 2nd Battalion saw service in troubled Ireland whilst found the 1st Battalion on active service against Waziris on the North West Frontier. At the close of , the 1st Battalion was stationed at Belfast and the 2nd Battalion at Agra in India.

    Overwhelmed by the Germans, and with their Commanding Officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Harrison, killed, four officers and men were evacuated from Dunkirk. The Battalion had suffered nearly casualties, many becoming prisoners of war. Meanwhile, No 2 Independent Company a precursor of the later commandos , under command Major Hugh Stockwell, with a significant number of Royal Welchmen, participated in the Norway campaign in May The 2nd Battalion returned from India in July and two years later took part in the capture of Madagascar from the Vichy French.

    In early it returned to India, thus joining the 1st Battalion which had arrived in the previous year. The latter first saw action against the Japanese at Donbaik in Burma in March The last and final assault…. The Battalion casualties amounted to thirteen officers and other ranks.

    It returned to India and in April and May it fought in the bloody battle for the relief of Kohima, in Assam. It went on to Burma where it was engaged until the end of the war. They served as infantry on the Adriatic flank of the Italian campaign and at Cassino before taking part in the airborne landings in the south of France in August Two months later they dropped near Athens and became involved in ending the Greek Civil War. The three Territorial battalions, the 4th, 6th and 7th, landed in Normandy in June as part of 53rd Welsh Division.

    They received a bloody baptism of fire at Evrecy in July. During the Second World War, the Royal Welch Fusiliers had thirteen battalions, six of which served overseas periods in theatre shown in brackets :. In , the 1st Battalion was stationed in India and 2nd in Northern Ireland.

    However, when the Germans invaded the neutral counties of Norway and Denmark in March , the 2nd Battalion joined 24th Guards Brigade to form part of a small allied force sent to aid Norway north of the Arctic Circle. The battalion arrived in mid-April and advanced towards Narvik with other allied troops. In early May, the battalion successfully beat off a German attack, but in mid-May it was withdrawn. The whole force was withdrawn at the end of May.

    The expedition had failed largely because the Germans had full command of the air and allied forces lacked the training and equipment to fight under Arctic conditions. The 2nd Battalion lost 6 dead and 13 soldiers were wounded, and two DCMs were later awarded for gallantry. Their mission was to capture a German radar site at Bruneval near Le Harve and seize vital parts for subsequent intelligence evaluation.

    The raid was entirely successful and a welcome morale boost for the British public. At home, the Brecknockshire Battalion was a draft finding unit and the 1st South Wales Borderers, after a difficult time in the Western Desert in , amalgamated with the 4th Monmouthshires, served as a training unit, both vital if unexciting roles. In June , the 2nd Battalion had the distinction of being the only Welsh battalion to land on the Normandy Beaches on D-Day, and together with the 2nd and 3rd Monmouths fought throughout the North-West Europe Campaign until VE Day, whilst the 6th Battalion was one of the outstanding battalions in Burma and of particular note was its action at the Mayu Tunnels in February where railway tunnels, used a storage depot by the Japanese, were destroyed by a determined company assault and the inspirational use of a Sherman tank.

    During the Second World War, the South Wales Borderers and the Monmouthshire Regiment had nine battalions, five of which served overseas periods in theatre shown in brackets :. During World War 2, eleven battalions of the regiment were active, but only four saw service overseas.

    The 1st Battalion which at the outbreak of war was serving in Palestine served in the Western Desert, Crete, Sicily and Italy, whilst the 2nd Battalion served with the 14th Army in the Burma campaign. Over 1, soldiers gave their lives during the conflict. The Welch Regiment had ten battalions, four of which served overseas periods in theatre shown in brackets :.

    While the battalion was based in Hong Kong , three platoons were in turn deployed to Borneo on counter insurgency operations and were attached to 1 Gordons, 1 Scots Guards and 1 Durham Light Infantry respectively. As a result of the Defence Review, drastic cuts in the armed forces were proposed. The Welsh Brigade was to be reduced by one battalion. Fortunately, an interchange of officers and senior ranks between regiments in the Brigade had occurred for many years, so the amalgamation of the South Wales Borderers with the Welch Regiment, although tinged with much sadness, enabled the newly formed Royal Regiment of Wales to capitalise immediately on the traditions and soldierly qualities of two fine Welsh regiments.

    For more, please download the fact sheet on Malaya. In the regular battalions returned to the United Kingdom after years of peacetime and wartime foreign service. In the 2nd Battalion was disbanded thus leaving the regiment with one regular battalion. In on completion of a training role the 1st Battalion resumed duties as an active battalion of infantry and was in sent to Korea to serve under United Nations command in the Commonwealth Division. Its year of service during the war brought the battle honour Korea to the Colours and was followed by a period of service in the Hong Kong garrison.

    In the Battalion when stationed at Gravesend undertook public duties in London and in celebrated the th anniversary of its formation. For more, please download the fact sheet on Korea. Having been brought up to strength in Wrexham in the 1st Battalion was sent to join the British Army of the Rhine in Germany where it remained until At the end of the war the 2nd Battalion went to Japan as part of the army of occupation. After a tour in Malaya , it returned to Britain in to be disbanded. In the 1st Battalion arrived in Jamaica and companies were detached elsewhere in the Caribbean.

    It played a significant part in disaster relief following the hurricane in Jamaica in August. Whilst based in the West Indies eighteen soldiers and dependents lost their lives when an early trooping flight crashed off Newfoundland. The start of the Korean War led to an army expansion and the 2nd Battalion was re-formed in , and in the following year went to Germany.

    Immediately afterwards the 2nd Battalion left for Korea, but its destination was changed en route and it was diverted to Malaya to fight the communist terrorists. When its tour ended it was again disbanded. The battalion was conspicuously successful in eliminating terrorists from its area. Just over three years in Bulford was followed by a tour as a mechanised battalion in Iserlohn and Minden in Germany, and a six month United Nations tour in Cyprus. After two years at Honiton the battalion was posted in to Hong Kong, and spent many weeks guarding the Sino-Hong Kong border at a time of much tension during the period of the cultural revolution.

    In it went to Northern Ireland for the first of many anti-terrorist tours of duty which have dominated the life of the army since Others followed in , , , , , , , , , , and From to the Battalion was based in Lemgo, Germany. On its return to England it became the demonstration battalion at the School of Infantry, Warminster. In October , the battalion moved to Tern Hill in Shropshire.

    Whilst based there they undertook a six months garrison tour of duty in the Falkland Islands. A residential tour of Northern Ireland based Ballykinler followed. In , because of operational commitments in the Province only two companies were released to take part in the Tercentenary celebrations of the regiment. It was the first time since that a regular battalion of the regiment had served in Wales. It carried out its extremely difficult task of protecting the population until the ending of the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement at the beginning of May, and the NATO bombing of Bosnian Serb positions, made it impossible.

    On 28th May thirty-three members of the battalion were taken hostage by the Bosnian Serbs. The subject of their safety dominated the news until the last batch was released on 16th June. Whilst in Bosnia the battalion often used Welsh for security to communicate orders, as had been done fifty years earlier in Burma.

    On 28th August and not without difficulty the last elements evacuated Gorazde, and within a matter of days the battalion was reunited in Wales. The 1st Battalion moved to Chepstow in December The soldiers of the Second World War were not forgotten when in November a regimental memorial was unveiled at Saint-Venant, Pas de Calais to commemorate those involved with the British Expeditionary Force and then in July a memorial was erected at Evrecy, Normandy to remember those who served and died with 4th, 6th and 7th Battalions during the Normandy campaign June-August The 1st Battalion, which had moved to Tern Hill Shropshire after a two-year resident battalion posting in Ballykelly, Northern Ireland, was deployed from Aldershot operationally in April to Basra on Operation Telic 4.

    The awards for the tour included one OBE, three MCs, five mentions in despatches and two commendations. This change, over three hundred years after it was raised, was tinged with much sorrow, as it was one of only five line infantry regiments of the British Army never to have been amalgamated.

    Within two months of amalgamation, the battalion was serving in Northern Ireland and was one of the first units to be deployed on the streets when the troubles began in August In the battalion returned to Belfast for two years as the resident unit, but afterwards in it had the benefit of an enjoyable two years in Berlin. From to the battalion was based in Aldershot, but spent time in Belize and Hong Kong as well as on exercise in Germany.

    Six months later the battalion was on public duties mounting Royal Guards at Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London. Towards the end of , 25 soldiers were to play a significant role during Operation Agila which monitored the fragile ceasefire in Rhodesia now Zimbabwe prior to and during the first all-party elections.

    Anti-terrorist duties in Northern Ireland continued to dominate life in the battalion during this period. Of particular note was its deployment to Belfast for an emergency tour in May following the death of hunger-striker Bobby Sands when soldiers found themselves patrolling the streets of the city alongside the 1st Battalion The Royal Welch Fusiliers.

    There were further operational tours in the province in and In the battalion moved to Lemgo in West Germany to begin a six-year tour of duty as a Mechanised Infantry Battalion with battle-group training taking place at Suffield in Canada for six weeks in In the regiment held its Tercentenary Parade at Cardiff Castle to celebrate the formation of the regiment in March In the battalion arrived in Hong Kong where it deployed to the Sino-Hong Kong Border and also carried out anti-smuggling operations with the police.

    The opportunities to travel, to play sport and to participate in adventurous training were numerous and overseas deployments took members of the Battalion as far as Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, Borneo and Malaysia. From there a company group was deployed to the Falkland Islands and South Georgia on an operational tour.

    Other companies visited Italy and Jamaica as part of exchange visits. In early the battalion changed roles and began an intense period of Northern Ireland training prior to its deployment to Ballykelly in County Londonderry as a Resident Battalion. In July that year on 25th anniversary of the appointment of The Prince of Wales as Colonel-in-Chief, a memorable parade and Regimental garden party was held in Cardiff Castle at which His Royal Highness was asked to cut the first slice of a large regimental birthday cake.

    More recently, the 1st Battalion has been involved in two 6-month operational tours in Iraq which involved leaving the families in Paderborn. In the battalion returned to Britain to be based at Tidworth. The Tercentenary of the battle of Blenheim in was marked by a special dinner in London attended by the Colonel-in-Chief accompanied by his future wife. During the battalion's two-year deployment in Cyprus, besides guarding key installations on the island and providing, at short notice, a reserve for Iraq, it undertook two four-month deployments to the Falkland Islands and took part in a challenging exercise in Jordan.


    However, the political environment prevailing at the time meant that the battalion's departure date and role was unclear. Nevertheless the battalion weathered the uncertainty and deployed in good spirits on 4th December Later, the 1st Battalion participated in security operations in Nad-e Ali and western Babjaji districts known as Area The battalion returned home on 4th May having suffered one fatality. The barracks provide one-man, en-suite rooms for soldiers. For operational purposes, the battalion forms part of 1st Mechanised Brigade and is equipped with Warrior armoured personnel-carriers.

    The battalion suffered over 50 casualties during the six-month tour, including three fatalities as well as two further fatalities amongst soldiers attached from 3 R SCOTS. The battalion returned to the UK in later November and received a tumultuous welcome home in December both in Cardiff Castle and the Millennium Stadium. Thousands of people turned out on a particularly cold day to witness the battalion march through the streets of the City of Cardiff. Subsequently, it was announced that 1st and 2nd battalion would merge to form a single battalion that would be stationed at Tidworth in Wiltshire.

    New colours would be presented to the regular and territorial battalions of The Royal Welsh at Cardiff on Tuesday 15th July A number of officers and soldiers of the 3rd Battalion have recently served on operational tours in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. The Regimental Band of The Royal Welsh has versatility of style and repertoire, which is both unique and highly popular whether on parade as a marching band, or on the concert platform.